Elevator Safety Tips
Proper Elevator Use
- Enter and exit the elevator promptly.
- Watch your step when entering or exiting the elevator.
- Children should always be accompanied by an adult when using the elevator.
- Do not allow children to play on or around an elevator.
- Children should be accompanied by an adult and never left alone in the vicinity of an elevator.
- No unauthorized person should enter the elevator hoistway.
- Elevators must not be used in the event of a fire or other emergency situations.
- Do not transport any long objects by opening the car top emergency exit.
- Do not jump in the car while the elevator is running.
- Do not prevent the operation of the infrared door detection-cells with objects.
- Never wedge an object or any part of the body in the path of a closing elevator door.
- Comply with the stated number of persons/weight for the elevator.
- When cleaning corridors or car interior, avoid sweeping water into the shaft.
- Use the 'stop' and 'alarm' buttons only when required.
- When calling the elevator, press only the button indicating the direction you wish to travel.
What to do if the elevator stops?
In some cases, simple and fast checks are enough to put the elevator back into operation and could save you from what might have otherwise been an additional charge.
Before placing a call to the KONE Customer Care Center, please check the following items:
- Verify the power supply to the elevator and check for blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers to the power supply.
- Is the Stop button activated?
- Are all key switches in the normal 'run' position?
- Is the Independent Service switch in the 'on' position?
- Is the elevator on Fireman Service?
- Is there an object (gum, paper, etc.) obstructing the infrared door detector or photo eye?
- Wipe down the infrared door detector or photo eye with a dry cloth.
- Is there an object (screw, coin, etc.) in the door sill or track, preventing the door from closing?
- Are the doors properly closed at all floors?
- Is the machine room dry and at normal room temperature?
- For hydraulic elevators, run the car several times to heat up the oil in the power unit and ensure correct operation.
If your equipment is not operational after checking the above items, place a service call with the KONE Customer Care Center.